ARE YOU INTERESTED IN BECOMINGA BHCS BOARD MEMBER?
All forms required for running for the vacant seat on the BHCS Board of Education can be obtained by contacting:
Sally A. Kohl, District Clerk
Monday –Friday 8 am – 3 pm
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgBHCSD BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCY
- Two vacancies
- The Board of Education seats of Roger Eastman and Laurie Nohle will expire 6/30/2018
- Each seat is a 5 year term (expires 6/30/2023)
A school board member takes on one of the most important citizen responsibilities: overseeing the education of the community’s youth. In these challenging times for public education, school boards are seeking men and women who find excitement and satisfaction in confronting tough challenges and working as a team to rise above them and help students in their communities succeed.
The board of education is a uniquely American institution. It oversees and manages the community’s public school system. It ensures the public schools are flexible and responsive to the needs of the community. School boards are comprised of volunteers within the community who dedicate their time to better public education. Board members are elected.
Responsibilities of a Board Member
With schoolchildren always their ultimate focus, school board members act officially at the board table, working with other board members to serve students and accomplish the following:
Characteristics of a Board MemberBelow are attributes that all effective board members should possess.
- Create a shared vision for the future of education
- Set the direction of the school district to achieve the highest student performance
- Provide rigorous accountability for student achievement results
- Develop a budget and present it to the community, aligning district resources to improve achievement
- Support a healthy school district culture for work and learning
- Create strategic partnerships with the community stakeholders
- Build the district’s progress through continuous improvement
- Adopt and maintain current policies
- Hire and evaluate the superintendent
- Ratify collective bargaining agreements
- Maintain strong ethical standards
- Effective Communicator: Can describe what he or she wants and describe what others want; a good listener
- Consensus Builder: Capable of working toward decisions that all can support and willing to compromise to achieve goals
- Community Participant: Enjoys meeting a variety of people, can identify the community’s key communicators and reaches out to the community
- Decision Maker: Is comfortable making decisions and can support group decision-making
- Information Processor: Can organize priorities and schedules to handle large amounts of verbal and written information
- Leader: Willing to take risks, be supportive of board colleagues, district staff and community
- Team Player: Helps promote the board’s vision and goals
Generally, school board candidates must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years old, qualified voters in the school district and able to read and write. They must be residents of their districts continuously for one year (as little as 30 days or as long as three years in some city school districts) before the election. They cannot be employed by the board on which they will serve or live in the same household with a family member who is also a member of the same school board.
PETITION (Due April 16, 2018)
The District Clerk will draw for determination of order for listing the Board of Education candidates on the ballot and file for records on April 17, 2018 The District Clerk will notify the candidates via a letter of the ballot order.EXPENDITURE STATEMENTS (REQUIRED BY NYSED) (Due: 4/16/2018, 5/10/2018 and 6/4/2018)
- Requires at least 25 signatures and physical addresses of BHCS District residents
- Due: April 16, 2018 before 5 p.m.
- Petitions are available by contacting the District Clerk
- Any petition used MUST contain the following:
- Name, physical address and phone number of the person running for the Board of Education
- Vacancy in question
- Incumbent's name
- Physical addresses of the persons who signed the petition
PANTHER PRESS NEWSLETTER QUESTIONNAIRE
- Must be filed with the District Clerk as well as with the Commissioner of State Education (3) times
- Due dates:
- April 16, 2018
- May 10, 2018
- June 4, 2018 **Must be filed regardless of election outcome**
- This is a REQUIREMENT by the New York State Education Department
- Expenditure Statements are available by contacting the District Clerk.
- Questionnaire is not a requirement, but is highly recommended.
- Questionnaires will be published in the Panther Press Newsletter.
- It is also highly recommended that you speak for no more than five (5) minutes a the Budget Hearing on Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the BHCS Auditorium
- Questionnaire must be returned via email (email@example.com) to the District Clerk by April 16, 2018
- Questionnaires are available by contacting the District Clerk